Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Teacher Gifts

With only 2 weeks of school left, I had to scramble to come up with gift ideas for Carmens 2 preschool teachers.  So why not something homemade... or semi-homemade.  A bright kitchen towel and a set of hot pads were just the ticket.  Ms. S told me she loves strawberries so that was an easy one.  Ms. P on the other hand loves anything handmade so I guess that was an easy one as well.  And with summer right around the corner, these color variations were just right.

The Apples and Pears fabric is by Alexander Henry and was purchased from Joann Fabrics. I then mixed in some Denyse Schmidt Flea Market Fancy fabric in green eyelet (purchased from Etsy) and some simple red/white polka dots, yellow/white polka dots and brown/blue polka dots (all from Hancock fabrics).  The green kitchen towel was purchased from Target.


The Kawaii mini strawberry fabric can be found here or here.  I then mixed in some coordinating prints from Joann Fabrics and Hancock Fabrics.  The red kitchen towel was purchased from Target.


There are so many tutorials online on how to embellish kitchen towels.  I just did something super simple.  I cut out a strip of fabric 3 3/4"  x 18" (or the width of your towel plus 1 inch).  I then folded 1/4" under on both sides of fabric to make it 3 1/4" wide and topstitched down onto the front of the towel.  Here is the tutorial I used.

There are alot of tutorials also for hot pads.  Just google around and find the perfect one for you.
I tied both sets up with pretty up-cycled ribbons and will put them in a nice gift bag and present them to their new owners on the last day of school.

No comments: